Document Retention and Destruction Policy
The Document Retention and Destruction Policy identifies the record retention responsibilities of staff, volunteers, members of the board of directors, and outsiders for maintaining and documenting the storage and destruction of the organization’s documents and records.
The organization’s staff, volunteers, members of the board of directors, committee members and outsiders (independent contractors via agreements with them) are required to honor the following rules:
- Paper or electronic documents indicated under the terms for retention in the following section will be transferred and maintained by Malecare, Inc.;
- All other paper documents will be destroyed after three years;
- All other electronic documents will be deleted from all individual computers, data bases, networks, and back-up storage after one year;
- No paper or electronic documents will be destroyed or deleted if pertinent to any ongoing or anticipated government investigation or proceeding or private litigation (check with legal counsel or the human resources department for any current or foreseen litigation if employees have not been notified); and
- No paper or electronic documents will be destroyed or deleted as required to comply with government auditing standards (Single Audit Act).