Dealing with the loss of appetite and related weight loss often becomes a problem as we journey through treatments. Many treatments depress appetite, or the nausea becomes so overwhelming it’s impossible to eat. A common recommendation seen in the general press is to use high caloric food supplements such as Boost and Ensure. You should mention loss of appetite to your doctor, so that he or she can ask you questions about depression.
Members of the online Malecare Advanced Prostate Cancer Support group have made the following food suggestions:
- Carnation Instant Breakfast Drink (chocolate, vanilla and strawberry) together with ice cream provides a delicious high protein drink. Brenda froze this drink so her husband could eat it like an ice.
- Someone recommended the generic version of V8 juice with additional spices added. He said that while he was on chemotherapy it had sufficient “bite” to break through the tastelessness of food.
- Another individual recommended Blue Cheese: a wedge a day kept the doctor away! It is tangy and tasteful.
Here are some recipes from the Advanced Prostate Cancer online support group:
- From Bobbie: Breakfast Shake
2/3 cup whole milk
½ cup fruit
2-3 tablespoons quick oats
4 ice cubes
2-3 tablespoons of sugar or honey
2-3 tablespoons of wheat germ
Place the milk and oats in a blender and let sit for 5 minutes. Blend until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and blend again. Add additional sugar and fruit to your taste
- From Bobbie: Protein Fruit Drink
1 mango, peeled and diced
1 cup water or milk
sugar to taste
¼ cup cooked and cooled beans (garbanzo, pinto, navy etc.)
Puree and enjoy with a squeeze of lime if desired.
- From the Block Center Integrative Cancer Care in Chicago: High Energy Shake (1225 calories)
8 oz. soy milk
1 cup fruit
1 large scoop whey protein
2 tsp L-Glutamine powder
1 Tablespoon Almond Butter
1 Tablespoon Sesame Oil (o