Constipation is an unfortunate experience for many of us. Beyond discomfort, it can become painful, as the normal toxins produced by the body are retained. To deal adequately with constipation it is important to be consistent in your care and recognize its symptoms.
Because of the adverse effects of ADT, many men are taking calcium and Vitamin D. Both can create constipation. (http://www.easy-immune-health.com/vitamin-d-and-constipation.html and http://www.evetydayhealth.com/health-questions/vitamin-d/does-vitamin-d3-cause-constipation).
There are many ways to deal with constipation, including:
- Increase the fiber in your diet, including fruits, nuts and fiber cereal.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day and add prune juice as well as dried fruit to the daily regimen.
- Try drinking two to three cups of warm water in the morning.
- If you need more help, add Magnesium Citrate together with Vitamin B6. Begin with 250 mg of Magnesium and 50 mg of B6. Be sure to continue to drink a lot of water as well as prune juice.
- Try over the counter or prescription stool softeners and laxatives.
- Many of the men on the advanced prostate cancer on-line support group suggest drinking a “cocktail” brew of a stool softener, a laxative, milk of magnesia, prune juice and coffee (One of the men at the advanced prostate cancer support group commented that he doesn’t know how bad it tastes or if it even tastes bad at all because the chemotherapy had already killed his taste buds.
- Many of us will ultimately resort to an occasional fleet enema. They are inexpensive and highly effective. But they are also habit forming
- If you do become constipated make sure that your doctor knows and is informed as to what you are doing to combat it.
- Increase your exercise level.
The late John Arnold (former member of the online advanced prostate cancer support group) shared a recipe he obtained from a hospice nurse who cared for him. He described the concoction fondly as the “Brown Bomber” and claimed that it worked like a charm:
- Every day take two “Senna Plus” tablets four times: two upon waking, two with lunch, two with supper, and two at bedtime.
- Whenever two or more days pass without a respectable bowel movement drink along with your normal morning coffee, a mixture of 4 tablespoons of milk of magnesia, 4 tablespoons of coffee, 4 tablespoons of prune juice.
John claimed that when you stirred it all up it didn’t taste bad at all. He reported that by the second evening he always had a good bowel movement, adding that he would take a second dose on the second day as well if he hadn’t had a movement on the first day. He also said that the nurse told him that whenever he had a bowel movement not to repeat the milk of magnesia, coffee, and juice mixture again for two days without a good movement. He indicated that his treatment worked well and would often carry him for five days before needing to repeat the treatment. During these five interim days he kept on taking the “Senna Plus” as well as occasionally drinking some prune juice.