IT’S NOT OVER, NOT YET

These days it been?fashionable to say things like "now all people will be judged by the content of their character" and "America has changed forever." I'll buy the latter argument because it's?ambiguous enough to read anything you want into it. The former, however, I have laid?no false?claims to. In my own experience I still get [...]

MLK, DEV’S PRESIDENCY, THE FUTURE

As of this week Devin has decided to "retire" from the MTA and focus all his efforts on becoming president of the United States. With Dr. King's birthday having passed last Tuesday (and his observed holiday being tomorrow), along with Barack Obama running for president, his declaration gave me pause. Could my son one day [...]

By |2008-01-20T17:20:39-05:00January 20th, 2008|AAD ON RACE, ARTICLE COMMENTARY|6 Comments

REUNITE THE FAMILY!

I've been holding onto this article for a couple of weeks.  When I first read it I was so livid, and visibly so, that I decided to not talk about it until I could form a coherent thought about it.  Most of the thoughts that came to my mind involved four letter words.  I am [...]

By |2006-11-20T02:45:18-05:00November 20th, 2006|ARTICLE COMMENTARY|1 Comment

HATING DAD

Do you hate your dad? C'mon, be honest. I don't think I hate mine. I don't speak to him enough to hate him. My fear is that if I speak to him frequently, or at all, I truly won't like him. He has a gift for never saying the right thing. Ever. His foot stays [...]

By |2006-11-05T01:52:38-05:00November 5th, 2006|ARTICLE COMMENTARY|4 Comments

I NEED A CHINESE AU PAIR(?)

First of all, I don't have anywhere to put an au pair, Chinese or otherwise (unless my wife lets her sleep in the bed with us, and my guess is that that's not an option).  Second, I can't afford to pay a decent salary to an au pair, a nanny, a manny, or any other stranger [...]

By |2006-09-05T19:53:40-04:00September 5th, 2006|ARTICLE COMMENTARY|0 Comments

THE CRISIS CONTINUES… FOR US

In the last couple of weeks leading up to Father's Day my email in-box has been bombarded with articles about dads. I would say that 90% of the articles are positive. The other 10% are about black dads. Let's take a moment to discuss the 90%. Literally I have articles from as far away as [...]

By |2006-06-16T18:29:48-04:00June 16th, 2006|ARTICLE COMMENTARY|0 Comments

(CAUTIONARY) PRAISE FOR DADS

In a press release posted yesterday on Yahoo Finance for Baby Center, LLC., we (dads) are getting a truck load of praise and it isn't even Father's Day.  It has been discovered that American dads are really getting into this whole parenting thing.  According to the article it appears to be lots of dads of all races, not just the Mike [...]

By |2017-10-19T11:00:04-04:00June 7th, 2006|ARTICLE COMMENTARY|1 Comment

DOES EDUCATION MAKE BETTER DADS?

The answer to this question is a resounding "yes" according to a Forbes.com  article posted on May 31st.  It's was said that those dads that spend a substantial amount of quality time with their children tend to be more educated.  And the trend held true across all racial groups, which I think is the most important part of the study [...]

By |2017-10-19T11:00:21-04:00June 2nd, 2006|ARTICLE COMMENTARY|1 Comment

WHAT’S THE ANSWER?

Yesterday in an article in the Gotham Gazette an interesting question was posed by author Mark Berkey-Gerard:  Can Fathering Be Taught?  My immediate response was "of course."  And I stand by that idea whole heartedly, however I think a more appropriate question is born from Mr. Berkey-Gerard's.  My question is: Why is it necessary to teach [...]

By |2006-05-17T01:38:08-04:00May 17th, 2006|ARTICLE COMMENTARY|1 Comment