As of now, Congress and the Administration are at an impasse on FY 11 spending. If no deal is reached by Friday, government operations will shut down. This would impact cancer research and prevention programs in the following ways:
* Patient enrollment in clinical trials would be discontinued;
* No new grants would be awarded;
* Patient information hotlines, such as 800-4- CANCER, would not be staffed;
* CDC grants would not be awarded; and,
* Tobacco quit-lines might not be staffed
The latest rumors about the negotiations suggest that the parties are still several billion dollars apart and that there is also disagreement over the policy riders.
from a One Voice Against Cancer (OVAC) alert
Its really not good news for cancer patient.